As the Fall season sets in, temperatures drop and the sun sets earlier each day. While we are all busy enjoying the weather it is important to remember that this time of year is perfect cover for criminals.
Here are a few simple tips that will help to keep you from being a victim of theft:
- Put on those lights! Criminals don’t like bright lights. A carefully placed floodlight on a motion sensor is an economical way to prevent people from lurking in the shadows.
- Keep your garage door closed, EVEN when you are home. Unless you are in your front drive, don’t tempt thieves with what they might see sitting in your open garage.
- Bring your children’s toys into the house/garage every night. You do not want your children’s new toys stolen in the middle of the night.
- Lock those doors! Keep your back and front doors locked, even when you are home. Working in the backyard? Lock your front door, and close your garage door. Don’t give thieves the opportunity.
- Keep your valuables in the house! You would not believe how many people will leave valuable electronics like laptops and GPS units in an unlocked car, or in a wide open garage.
- Lock your car. Most vehicle thefts are spontaneous events. If a thief is confronted with a locked door it is likely that he will move on to the next car.
- Install a garage door monitor system. We have a Liftmaster Gateway system that sends us a notification when the garage door is left open for a certain time period, but we can also adjust it to tell us when the garage is opened or closed.
- Write down serial numbers for valuable items. When a burglary is solved the police will want to return property to the rightful owner. That is why it is important to keep those serial numbers listed somewhere.
- Don’t be afraid to call! You know what is normal for your neighborhood and what is out of the ordinary. If you see any suspicious activities don’t hesitate to call the Police. You could be saving yourself and your neighbor from a tremendous amount of stress and heartache. The police can simply do a drive through the neighborhood to check for suspicious activity, and it can be anonymous.
Fall is my FAVORITE time of year. We get to place outside, mosquitoes DIE, and nature is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately, the beautiful weather means more crime. Keep yourself safe!
As always, please let us know if there is anything we can do for any of your garage door or opener needs! We would love to improve your homes safety! Give Eric or Gary a call today!
The Royal Garage Door Team